We have a large perennial bed that runs along the side of the farm house. It is filled with purple and yellow Irises and the biggest, most beautiful Peonies. When we first came to the farm, this bed was horribly overrun with weeds. Somehow though, I saw its former glory peering through the neglect. I set about to making it my little project and now it is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful areas of the farm. One of the best things about it is that it doesn't bloom all at once - it blooms like a symphony. First the purple Irises, then the yellow, then the Peonies and last but not least the fig tree at the far end will gradually come back to life and bring the house down with a burst of green, a lovely fragrance and yes, even a few figs.
I spent some hours tending it this month and now the bed is just starting to bloom. The purple Irises did me the honor of blooming the morning before I left on a trip to California and I captured some pictures. My husband knows they are my favorite so he has been texting me pictures as well. Then when I checked in at my hotel I realized that my room had a picture of a purple Iris.
I can't help but feel like the purple Irises are following me. I take it as a very good sign.
No comments:
Post a Comment