This is one of my new favorite things...a kale smoothie. That's right, I used the words "kale" and "smoothie" in the same sentence. I know what you are thinking...but it is delicious!
In the veggie world, kale is king. Very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein and calcium, kale is considered to be the most nutritious vegetable in the world. The plant itself is hardy. It's very easy to grow and grows (for us at least) well into the fall.
I harvest my kale when the leaves are firm and curly. It's easy to freeze kale and that's generally what I do with it if I don't use it fresh right away. I trim it, quickly blanch it and freeze it.
Fresh or frozen, it makes an amazing smoothie that is an amazingly good start to your day. It's also a great way to fuel a run or any work out. If you google "kale smoothie" you will see that there are tons of recipes out there. I like this one because it's very simple, clean and delish...
1 C Orange Juice
2 C Kale
1 Small Banana
1 TBS Flax Seeds
1 comment:
I haven't made the leap to the Green Smoothies. Some of my friends here swear by the addition of Spinach to their strawberry smoothies. Jennifer Thompson (http://healthybliss.net/) even gave a few workshops out here, which I could not attend because I live in the boondocks.
I think I will just start little bit by little bit. Kale would be great, but a little exotic over here.
Post a Comment