First, I just want to say thank you for all the loving and supportive responses I have gotten on my last post. I shared that because I wanted it to inspire and instead it is I who feel inspired by all the caring responses I have gotten :). It was truly a bit overwhelming to receive not only comments, but also encouraging messages. Let me just say that I am touched and I feel very blessed to have such a completely supportive circle of friends. Thank you…kisses and hugs…and enough said on that subject :).I don’t know what to call it, but here is my Mom’s best squash casserole…well, maybe that’s a good name for it! Enjoy!
This recipe really lends itself to alteration based on taste, but this is based on what I made…
1lb ground beef (could also use ground turkey or sausage)
1 medium onion
1 Cup uncooked brown rice
2 to 4 medium size summer squash and/or zucchini (whatever the garden yields!)
About 4 Cups of diced, fresh tomatoes
About 4 Cups of shredded cheddar cheese (can use a different cheese if desired)
1. Cook rice and set aside.
2. Dice onion and sauté in olive oil until translucent. Add ground beef and brown seasoning with salt and pepper.
3. Combine rice and meat and set aside.
4. Grease a casserole pan and spread half of the meat/rice mixture on bottom.
5. Slice squash thin and layer half on top of meat mixture
6. Layer half of diced tomatoes on top of squash
7. Top with half of shredded cheese.
8. Repeat layering process starting with meat/rice mixture (like a lasagna)
9 Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes (or until squash is cooked through).
10. Let stand for 3 to 5 minutes and serve!

3 comments:
I think those flowers are gladiolas Jenn-and thank you for that recipe! I have all of the ingredients! I don't even have to go to the store! I will try it tomorrow night! Yahoo! Love some new recipes!
-Hunter D.
Imagine my surprise when I came across your blog-what a blast from the past! Congratulations to you and Dr. Dan for creating such a great family and life together.
Hey Darlene! It's so nice to hear from you - it's been a long time! Thank you, we are really happy and very blessed - but I guess that shows... :). I hope all is well with you!
Post a Comment