“My books, my family, my friends, and my farm, furnish more than enough to occupy me the remainder of my life." ~ Thomas Jefferson

What a wonderfully fun (and fitting) July 4th holiday weekend!

I took a long weekend and my family came down to the farm from PA. In addition to just 'grillin and chillin' at our lovely farm, we took a trip out to visit two other beautiful homesteads belonging to two of the great men who founded our nation – James Monroe (Ash Lawn) and, my personal favorite, Thomas Jefferson (Monticello).
.JPG)
It was so nice to do something that was fun but also truly educational for the boys and for us (actually). I haven’t read much on Monroe so it was interesting to learn about the man who came from modest beginnings and who was a bit of a Francophile. I thought I knew a lot about Jefferson, but every time I go to Monticello I learn something new about this truly great man (did you know that he read all of the books in his father’s library by the age of six?). As I said, Jefferson is my favorite, probably because he was such an enigma – champion of human freedom/life-long slave owner, firm believer in God/fiercely antagonistic to organized religion, deep admirer of many women/chauvinistic…and the list could go on. But what intrigued me and touched me on this trip was learning that Jefferson identified himself first and foremost as a farmer – even above being a public servant. According to his letters he was forever talking about how much he disliked politics and how he longed to return to the “pastoral pleasures” of Monticello. He also related farming with science and his endless pursuit of knowledge. Doubtless it’s my own adventures in life on a farm, including my own pastoral pleasures and learning which caused this aspect of Jefferson to resonate with me.
One of my favorite moments from our holiday happened late one night when Dan and I went out to the back paddock with a flashlight to check on the animals and it was so peaceful and quiet. Then we heard the sound of fireworks (we have a lovely view of professional-level fireworks displays from our grounds) overhead and looked up to find a beautiful display breaking out over the skyline above the barn. We took each other’s hands and walked back across the property to the house – that was a lovely moment.
Some of my other favorite tidbits from the weekend…
-500 rummy on the front porch with my Mom and the boys (it’s competitive folks, you have no idea – think, World Cup)
-Grandpa treating us all to ribs and ice cream at our fav BBQ place – So yummy I can’t even talk about it…really
-Watching Grandma and Grandpa enjoy the farm – including meeting all our little critters.
-My book acquisitions – Including a copy of the much-coveted Virginia Hospitality cookbook. I am Super excited about his (and those of you who know about this book know that it is the authority on Virginia cooking and hospitality)! I promise to dedicate some posts to my adventures with this cookbook :). In addition to that (which I acquired at Ash Lawn), I acquired a ton of great books (cheaply) from the book fair. Note: My Mom and I should not be allowed to go to a book fair together – and we just barely got my Dad out of there! :)
So yes, I would have to concur with Jefferson - My books, my family, my friends and my farm…good stuff indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment