It’s almost the end of January? No wait…that can’t be right…can it?
Yes, it’s been an incredibly busy January for me, but as my friend and mentor says, “a busy January equals a good year…” If they are right, then I am truly poised before something great and I must say, it is off to an auspicious start!
I don’t really do New Year’s resolutions. It’s not that I don’t set goals, rather it’s quite the opposite – I’m setting goals all the time and not just at the beginning of the year. But I do like to take the time at the start of each New Year to reflect on the lessons learned the year before. If you aren’t learning, you aren’t really living, you are just going through the motions – take a chance, make mistakes and never miss the lesson. So here are just a few things I learned last year (in no particular order)…
1. God does answer prayer. Often, however, prayer is answered in ways that you least expect. So be patient (not my strong suit) and be prepared to be pleasantly floored ;).
2. It’s true; I’m not a very patient person. I have learned, however, that I can be very patient when it comes to retribution :).
3. Take care of yourself. It’s simple and yet we find so many reasons to not put ourselves first. You know how when you fly and the flight attendant goes through the safety information and says, “Be sure to secure your oxygen mask before assisting others” (yes, I fly a lot ;)? Well, there’s a reason for that. Think about it.
4. Drink in beauty. Nothing has taught me more about the power of simply being in the midst of beauty than the farm.
5. When you blame others, you miss the lesson. This was clearly brought home to me when someone attempted to blame me for short-comings in their relationship and their partner. Of course I don’t accept that blame and stood up for myself, but it wasn’t really me that they were hurting anyway. They were hurting themselves by missing the opportunity to learn and in turn really be able to move on. I thought that they had managed to move forward and then something came to my attention over the holidays last year that made it clear that they are still stuck. That’s unfortunate, but I’m not surprised. By playing the blame game, they missed the lesson and until they are truly honest, they will not be able to move forward. When you blame others, you only cheat yourself.
6. There is something very healing about being around animals. It’s hard to put into words, but the farm has taught us this.
7. You will never have a problem finding more work, seek play.
8. If you try to spread your wings and you bump into bars on either side, get the heck out of the cage. Don’t waste time; don’t over think it, just fly. And please do Not listen to the naysayers, the haters and the doubters. There is a special kind of Hell for the people who are truly in the “misery loves company” club and it’s the kind that they make for themselves – don’t join them there.
9. Point your children in the right direction, give them a strong foundation of love and they will evolve. As our boys unfold I stand in amazement, with great pride and joy.
10. Keep your heart open.
It's a bit belated, but Happy New Year everyone and don't miss the lessons...
1 comment:
Awesome post as always Jenn! I can relate to so many of these lessons! And I agree that 2011 is shaping up to be a fantastic year!
Post a Comment