Sunday, May 22, 2011

Playing in the Dirt

Our thumbs are green this month! Lots of gardening going on... We decided to make the vegetable garden a bit bigger this year which means tending it is definitely a family affair (as will be the subsequent canning and freezing of all our yummy veggies). We also reinforced the fencing to remove temptation for Guss and Finn (who love garden-fresh tomatoes as much as we do :). I'll post pics of our veggie garden once it starts to grow. In addition to our garden, I have been busy with a few of my special gardening projects...

 A favorite is my little herb garden that sits right off the back patio. Many of my herbs come back every year such as Sage, Lemon Verbena, Oregano, Rosemary and Chives. In addition to those I planted Dill, Fennel, Cilantro, Italian Flat Parsley and Thyme. I'll likely pick up a few others at our farmer's market throughout the season. I plant Marigolds around the outside border as an attractive way to keep the bunnies at bay.

 Outside of the garden, I planted some Greek Oregano in one of our old pots.

We have a bed of Mint growing around the side of the house and all different kinds of Basil growing near the Tomatoes in our main garden as well (read - Pesto!).

This year I also decided to have some fun with flowers. I don't really have a "strategy" or a "theme" when it comes to flowers (I just don't want to work that hard with something that should be fun :). I just gravitate to the things that catch my eye and then bring it all home and creatively arrange them.

  I even combined a little Lime Basil with some flowers to make a pretty arrangement on our front porch.

 Here are just a few others gracing our front porch (I can't take credit for the hanging basket - that I just fell in love with!). Needless to say, our front porch is a very popular hang out :).

 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Bill Applegate said...

Good for you Jenn...I love working outside. I find that digging in the dirt to be awesome stress relief. Your place...the house, the farm, the flowers and garden look awesome...

Post a Comment