Friday, September 3, 2010

Virginia Hospitality

I realize that not everyone does, but I actually love entertaining guests – whether it’s an intimate meal with close family, a dinner party with friends or weekend guests (I read things like The Virginia Hospitality cookbook as if they are novels). Some people would say that entertaining guests the weekend before a business trip to Japan is well…ambitious (and that’s if they are being polite), but I say bring it on! Creating simple moments of pleasure for others to enjoy brings me even more pleasure – maybe because it’s just a nice break from my full-time role as Intrepid Marketing exec ;).

One of the nice things about living on the farm is that I don’t have to work very hard to create enjoyment for our guests – I just need to let the farm work its magic! :) You can see people start to visibly relax once they get here. In fact, many of our family and friends come down to visit with us so often that we have to carefully plan our own time away. Just yesterday we were talking about two trips to the shore that we are planning for this fall and realized that we will have to work around our calendar of visitors ;). It’s great fun and to be honest, as much as we like to travel it is difficult to want to leave the farm – especially at the turn of each season when Mother Nature is at her loveliest.

This weekend we are entertaining some very special friends that we haven’t seen in a while so I am super excited! Entertaining, however, is not without it’s little stressors… For example, this morning I realized that our oven isn’t working hmm… So the challenge is – Can I create a weekend menu that doesn’t involve baking? Stay tuned… :)

No comments:

Post a Comment