I can be a bit competitive (I admit to sprinting across the finish line with a fellow runner - she was awesome, by the way). But my biggest competitor is myself. My drive and determination have enabled me to achieve so much that I am truly proud of, but it also means that I tend to be much harder on myself than anyone else ever would be. Running is made for people like me - goal-setters. You can always go one more mile... But it is also a great release.
During the race I fell into a good pace. Fast enough to please me, but easy enough that I felt fantastic running. As I was nearing the last 1/2 mile, I started to think about how I need to do a 10K at this same pace and then I thought..."No. I'm not going to think like that right now. No one (not even me) is going to interrupt the pure joy of this moment. I will simply live in and appreciate this moment and my accomplishment in it." When I sprinted across the finish line I knew I had won - I had won back my moment. In many ways, my run set the tone for the whole day...
After my race Dan and I had a "date" at the Farmer's Market. Eli was at golf lessons (where he ended up winning a competition) and Gabe's band was practicing (yes, Gabe is now in a little "garage band" and they actually recorded a song - too funny :). After I refueled on a slice of sweet potato cake, we headed for home. I knew it was going to be a busy day at the farm, but I thought the 5K would be my only real "workout" until Dan announced that we were going out to the chicken house to play "Catch and Release". What is that you might ask? Let me explain... Catch and Release is when Dan decides that he has waited long enough for the chickens to venture outside on their own and now is going to herd them with a giant stick while I catch them and throw them out the window. Now friends, I don't know if you have ever tried to "catch" a chicken, but let me tell you, you work up a sweat. Think Mickey's training program for Rocky in "Rocky II". Speed...speed! Good thing I had that sweet potato cake...
The day was busy and we worked hard, but the spirit of my "victory" from the morning stayed with me. I laughed...a lot. I truly noticed this beautiful, amazing place that we get to call "home" (honestly, it's like being on vacation...every day). I stopped to smell the roses...well, okay the peonies that are simply brilliant this year.
I slept very well last night.

No comments:
Post a Comment