Walking with Dan and watching them I thought – they really have gotten the best of both of us. It’s a special kind of happiness to see the one you love in your children. I guess that’s why God designed it that way. Eli has Dan’s good looks, my charm and a uniquely sensitive spirit and love for life that we can’t take credit for. Gabe has Dan’s smarts, my “soulful big brown eyes” (according to Dan) and a beautiful music in him that we can’t possibly take credit for. Born in our true love, they are a part of that love, a part of each of us and a gift to both of us. Nothing I have done or ever will do in life could equal the magic of our amazing sons.
I didn’t get fancy jewelry for Mother’s Day. I didn’t go to brunch. When Dan asked me what I wanted, I told him that I simply wanted to go up into the mountains and do one of our family hikes with the dogs and some snacks and each other.
I would not trade this day for anything. I would not trade it for a trinket or a fancy restaurant or the temporary “happiness fix” you get by escaping to some exotic place. While those things are nice, they cannot compare with the simple celebration of my real, everyday life. The one I feel so blessed to have as I watch my sons making their way just a little ahead of me. I follow with my hand in their father’s hand, my feet light and my heart complete.

2 comments:
Oh Jenn! I love how you write! What a beautiful entry about your family!
Thank you :).
Post a Comment