Monday, June 21, 2010

Favorite Father's Day

Coming back from Asia is always tough on me physically. Going to Asia you lose a day to travel and coming back you supposedly “gain a day” (basically leaving and arriving around the same time the same day after 10+ hours of travel), however, I find that the jet lag that occurs when you are supposed to act as if no time has passed is pretty intense. I recently read a line in a book I’m reading that struck me – “My father never liked to fly. He said flying took the travel out of traveling.”
This trip was particularly wearing because I came back at the onset of Father’s Day weekend and was determined not to miss a beat with my family. After 15 hours of flying, I drove for over two hours arriving at the farm shortly after midnight on Friday and then got up on Saturday morning to pack (again), hit Gabe’s piano recital and then hit the road to celebrate a very special graduation and Father’s Day with my family. All in a day’s work when you are a Mom/Career Woman/Superhero :).And I must say, it was totally worth it.

Driving back from my parents’ house on Sunday night, Dan, Gabe and I played “favorites” where one person gets to pick a topic and everyone has to state your favorite…favorite color, favorite food, etc… Eli was staying behind as he may be working in PA this summer and staying with the Grandparents. As we drove and the sky grew darker, I learned that Dan and I share a favorite constellation, Orion. We also share a favorite song – “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen. Gabe and I share a favorite food - pizza. Which I guess makes sense since it’s been only fairly recently that either of us could eat pizza without modifications thanks to food allergies (which “magically” disappeared after we moved).

I missed Eli and thought about what his favorites would be. And I thought to myself…favorite people…Dan, Eli and Gabe…without a doubt. The truth is that my family is so cool they would be my favorite people even if they weren’t mine – now that’s a good feeling. Sometimes these moments pass without too much fanfare or even notice. You enjoy them without thinking about it too much and then they are gone. But this time, it hit me…a deep appreciation for the moment…this moment when my son is young enough to listen with rapt attention as I describe my favorite kind of cake (chocolate layer with chocolate icing on the top and German chocolate filling in the middle). Maybe it’s because I was contemplating the first extended period of time when Eli might not be with us, but I couldn’t help but think, this is it…this is the height, the pinnacle, the time when as a family we are still all together. I will blink and it will be gone. This will pass, the boys will grow and build their own busy lives and (hopefully) families of their own...

I know we will always be close, but suddenly the inevitable “loss” of this little family unit was very real. I shouldn’t think this way. Rationally I know that life cannot stand still and that every stage in life offers something new and beautiful. And yet…I couldn’t stop the butterflies in my stomach as if I was in the roller coaster car at the top of the hill just about to make a slight turn downward.

Favorite thing to do… This one was a bit vague on Gabe’s part, but we ran with it. I said my favorite thing was embarking on a new adventure with the family. That time right before we take off for a trip. Then Dan said…”My favorite thing is waking up in the morning…I know it sounds funny, but I really love doing all the things we do on the farm in the morning. I guess my favorite thing right now is just getting up in the morning…life is so good.”

And so it is…

No comments:

Post a Comment