Sunday, June 6, 2010

So Many Projects, So Little...

 ...oh, you get the idea! Yes, I am still starting up new projects around the farm in all my copious spare time (who needs sleep?).

As we get ready to welcome our new little kids, we put some final touches on their new home. There are several outbuildings on the farm and this is the one that we are planning to use for the kids as a place to shelter them at night and when it rains (apparently goats don't like to get wet). During the day, they will roam the back paddock (hopefully eating poison ivy) and the back acreage with the cows.

For those of you who are savvy farmers, you may recognize that this building was a hog house originally, but it hasn't been used for those purposes (or for any purpose as far as we can tell) for a long time. In fact, when we investigated the top level we found it contained an old claw foot bathtub (we are guessing a relic from the farm house) that we haven't gotten around to moving. When you live on a historic property there are always these little, delightful surprises (I love it!).

As an aside, please stay tuned for another project I may be embarking on - a documentary film about historic houses and homesteads in the area. It's always been a dream of mine to make a documentary film and I may have my chance...I'm talking right now to a lovely woman who has done docs for National Geographic. So stay tuned and keep your fingers crossed!

 I enlisted Gabe's help in spreading some hay on the bottom floor to make it a nice, clean and soft space for our kids, but I was met with a bit of resistance. "I'm not going in there!" he exclaimed as he peered in and then I heard..."Wait, is that my nerf gun?" :). Our little kids arrive at the end of the month and we cannot wait to introduce them to their new digs!
  Another fun little project that I am embarking on this month is creating a small stone patio behind the main house. It's a lovely little alcove near a small stone wall draped in ivy and as you can see, it once had two stone benches. I haven't mapped out the design completely yet, but I am planning to do a circular patio with a tile mosaic in the center. If I do it right, this will become one of the most coveted seats in the house ;).
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment