Sunday, April 18, 2010
Bragging on Gabe
This Saturday morning we had the pleasure of watching Gabe peform at his Spring piano recital. After the recital the teacher recognized a handful of students who had received high marks from The Virginia Music Teachers Association for music theory and sight reading. Gabe received Excellent for both (which is impressive for his age and level). From a very early age, Dan and I recognized this gift in Gabe. When Gabe was just a little over 2 (and not really even talking yet) we were on a road trip and were listening to Peer Gynt in the car. When the music stopped there was quiet and then Gabe's little voice singing a perfect scale came from the car seat in the back. He first composed at 7 years of age. Now he plays three instruments and is first chair in the band for percussion and overall. I love watching Gabe perform, but I admit to having mixed emotions about having a child with a precious gift like this. I know it's a blessing, but as a parent I also feel the weight of the huge responsibility that I carry to nurture and support this gift. I pray we can do it and him justice. One thing I do know is that Gabe's music has brought us a deep and abiding joy that is difficult to describe.

1 comment:
Way to go Gabe!
Post a Comment