Saturday, April 10, 2010

Got Chickens?

We do!

After talking about it for a while and thoroughly researching it (yes, our nighttime reading did include a book on keeping chickens), we finally took the plunge and got us some chickens! We now have eight of the most adorable, little, week-old chicks. We have two of each – Black Australorps, Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons and Silver Laced Wyandottes. Altogether they make a lovely little flock!

While they are little (until their feathers come in) they must be kept indoors with a heat lamp to keep them extra warm. Once they are ready (and we are ready), they will move in to their new deluxe home (one of the outbuildings in our back paddock). But I have to confess that right now the “Mother Hen” in me loves having them in the house with us.

We haven’t named all of them just yet but we do have a Layla, Lila, Raider, Sunshine, Summer and Sam (Samantha).

I’m afraid I have already broken one of the cardinal rules when it comes to keeping chickens…”don’t get attached” (as it is not unusual to lose a chicken or two from a new flock to predators or their own folly (like drowning in their water)). And I have to admit that when Dan suggested chicken for dinner tonight…well, I had tuna. So all in all this should prove to be a very interesting family project…stay tuned!

 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jen Ambrose said...

Hey, Jen. My friend and hero Danielle raises chickens, too. Or should I say, her children raise chickens. Here's a link to her chicken posts on her blog. Her kids even dress up their chickens (for a while one named Manuela sported a Red SOx jersey!)

Jen Ambrose said...

Try this link.

Jen Ambrose said...

And here's a chicken in a home-made Red Sox jersey

Post a Comment